Saturday 13 June 2015

Book Review: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

Uff, that title is a mouthful!

Today I bring to you a review of a book I had to read for one of my university classes. I had no expectations and I usually enjoy every type of book, be it drama, romance, comedy, etcetera. However, other than the occasional funny parts, this book isn't a favourite and it took me a while to finish. One of the reasons can be the fact that it was a required reading and that usually takes the pleasure out of it, or maybe it just simply isn't my cup of tea.
There's no mistaking with the title - the book is indeed about the adventures of a boy named Huckleberry Finn and he is the one 'writing' the book therefore the spelling isn't always correct, be it that some words are written the way you pronnounce them. Sometimes the phrases are a bit tricky, especially when the slaves are talking, and a solution that my professor gave us was to read out loud in those parts, it actually helps understanding. They also refer to the slaves as the 'N-word' so if you are sensitive about that kind of things then I definitely don't recommend reading this book.
As I have already said, the story has some really funny parts but it can get a little boring at times. If you are into American literature or/and adventure, you should give this book a try :) I'll leave you with the synopsis that is on the back of the book.
Favourite Quotes:
  • "The average man's a coward."
  • "Human beings can be awful cruel to one another."
Happy Saturday! x

No comments:

Post a Comment